KatieC

KatieC

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender This seems to be a book one either loves or dislikes. I disliked it. And may I say, it was strange. I like magical realism and fantasy and science fiction...this didn't really fit in any one of those categories. Controlled chaos, perhaps. And I'm not even sure about the controlled part. This was a book of lost opportunities. Bender introduced a number of story threads that she just left dangling. They went no where.

Now, I suppose that is a lot like real life. Not everything has a logical denouement. Some things just go nowhere and get dropped. For me, this book went nowhere and I couldn't really see the point of bringing up the threads in the first place if they weren't intended to go anywhere. And yet, I'm still not ready to give it less than 3 stars because something about it was compelling in a strange way that irritates me and probably will for a good while to come. One of those books you keep thinking about. Not necessarily fondly, but...anyway.